Monday, January 11, 2016

10 Reasons to Drink Broth and Easy Recipe

The following reasons for using bone broth comes courtesy of Dr. Amy Myers on her mindbodygreen blog. I think the importance of the anti-inflammatory properties of bone broth cannot be over stated, particularly those suffering from IBS and IBD symptoms. One of the easiest ways to incorporate this simple ingredient into your diet is to drink it plain in a coffee mug for a snack or mid afternoon pick-up. This recipe can also be started in the morning in a large stock pot. I will clear a place for this in the fridge after a bit of cooling and straining out vegetables and picking out the meat. I throw out the vegetables and freeze the meat to throw in soups later. After the broth has cooled in the fridge I then skim the fat off, place in quart canning jars and freeze. When just beginning the SCD diet, take out one jar per day, and try and heat cupfuls of this healthy broth and sip throughout. Use it to create your carrot soup or egg-drop soup.

1. It heals a leaky gut. 
The gelatin in bone broth protects and heals the mucosal lining of the digestive tract and helps aid in the digestion of nutrients.
2. Fights infections such as colds and flu.  
A study published in the journal Chest shows eating chicken soup during a respiratory infection reduces the number of white blood cells, which are the cells that cause flu and cold symptoms.
3. Reduces joint pain and inflammation.  
The glucosamine in bone broth can actually stimulate the growth of new collagen, repair damaged joints and reduce pain and inflammation.
4. Produces gorgeous skin, hair and nails.  
The collagen and gelatin in bone broth supports hair growth and helps to keep your nails strong.
5. Helps with bone formation, growth and repair.  
The calcium, magnesium and phosphorus in bone broth helps our bones to grow and repair.
6. Saves you money.  
Homemade bone broth is cheaper and healthier than store bought.
7. Super easy to make.  
All you need is a crockpot. Throw all of the ingredients into the crockpot and it cooks while you sleep.
8. Healthier than buying supplements.  
Homemade bone broth contains all nutrients and minerals found in bones and tendons rather than just one or two found in pills. Slow cooking preserves the nutrients better than the high heat extraction used to make supplements.
9. Fights inflammation.  
Bone broth is very high in the anti-inflammatory amino acids glycine and proline.  
10. Promotes sleep and calms the mind.  
The amino acid glycine found in bone broth can be very calming.

Gut-Healing Chicken Broth Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 1 organic whole chicken
  • 8 c of water (If making in stock pot, you can add 12 cups)
  • 4 -6 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 4-5 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • ½ white or yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 inch ginger root, finely chopped
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped (optional)
Directions:
Place all of the above ingredients in a crock-pot and cook on low heat for 8 -10 hours.
If you own a stock-pot, you can place all ingredients in that instead and simmer covered for 6-8 hours. 
I like to cook mine until the meat is falling away from the bones.
Strain out vegetables and discard. Meat can be frozen and used in soups and other recipes.
Cool the broth in the fridge and skim the fat.
A note: before freezing broth in glass containers, make sure it is fully cooled or the glass might crack. 

2 comments:

  1. Note about recipe: strain out the vegetables and throw away. The meat can be saved for later uses, like adding back into a chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone should still be grateful to God for the gift of life, that person should be me. Men and Women in this page, Faith Ristus is my name, I want to let the whole world know how I was cured of my Hepatitis B by God through the help of Herbal Dr Uwadia Amneifo. I was ill and diagnosed of Hep B after successfully undergoing appendicitis operation. After my doctor diagnosed me of Hep B, he said this virus has no cure and that I have to be careful not to allow anyone have direct contact with my blood. I have husband and kids at home, and anytime I come from work they come to me and I carry my kids on my body and sometimes they even sleep laying on my body so I begin to wonder how I can now start to avoid my kids and my husband for them not to contract this virus. I was given medicine like Lamivudine (Epivir-HBV, Zeffix, or Heptodin) and others to curb it but my conditions remain the same, and instead I would only eat and sleep after taking the pill, and this pill was too expensive for me. My health began to deteriorate on a constant basis and I was almost beginning to see my grave. For this reason I was prompted to do a search on the internet to see how I could help myself. I ran into a blog where I saw a testimony of a woman named Rash Hansell where she testified of how she as cured of ADHD with the use of roots and herbs prepared and shipped to her by Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. After carefully studying her testimony, I decided to take the contact details of the herbalist and immediately I maintained communication with him. He replied my message via his email and told me he got my message for the herbal cure of Hep B and he assured me that my cure is certain with his herbal mixture. He was so confident that I was so convinced just in his confidence. So we made necessary arrangement, and he prepared the herbs and shipped it to me. Just as he directed me to use it I really did. Behold it was as if he gave me magic medicine. My body system began to positively react to his medicine and in just less than three weeks, I was totally cured. I told him before he cured me that if he cures me, I will tell the whole world about his herbal medicine, and now I am cured so I am fulfilling my promise to him. Please if you are out there and still suffering from Hep B or other diseases, please I want you to in a hurry contact Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo now and give him a try. His contacts are Email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com) his number is (+2349052015874), God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete